Current:Home > InvestBuckingham Palace staff under investigation for 'bar brawl' -Global Finance Compass
Buckingham Palace staff under investigation for 'bar brawl'
NovaQuant View
Date:2025-04-06 16:35:41
LONDON - Buckingham Palace said Friday it would investigate staff working for Britain's royal family following an after-party, which the Sun reported ended in a "punch-up" and "bar brawl."
Workers attended an early evening reception at Buckingham Palace before heading to a nearby bar to carry on the celebrations.
But their partying got out of hand, and police were called "after glasses were hurled and punches thrown," the Sun said.
Buckingham Palace said on Friday that palace officials were aware of an incident which had taken place outside the workplace following a reception at the official London residence of King Charles.
"While this was an informal social gathering, not an official Palace Christmas party, the facts will be fully investigated, with a robust disciplinary process followed in relation to individual staff and appropriate action taken," Buckingham Palace said in a statement.
Need a break?Play the USA TODAY Daily Crossword Puzzle.
Rough year for royals
News of the investigation comes against the backdrop of a tumultuous year for the royal family marked by illness and strained relations with Prince Harry and Duchess Meghan, who now reside in America.
Princess Kate announced earlier this year that she had been diagnosed with cancer, following a months-long public (and tabloid) fever about her whereabouts. After undergoing a course of preventative chemotherapy, the princess returned to royal duties, helping to share the workload with King Charles, who revealed his own cancer diagnosis in February, and Queen Camilla, who has been intermittently ill.
Princess Kate offers rare commenton 'challenging' year at Christmas concert
Meanwhile, across the pond, Harry and Meghan are locked in a number of legal battles with British publishers. The trial with Rupert Murdoch's News Group Newspapers, whom they are suing over phone hacking and illegally obtaining medical records, is expected to kick off in the coming weeks.
Contributing: Anna Kaufman, USA TODAY
Disclaimer: The copyright of this article belongs to the original author. Reposting this article is solely for the purpose of information dissemination and does not constitute any investment advice. If there is any infringement, please contact us immediately. We will make corrections or deletions as necessary. Thank you.
veryGood! (6873)
Related
- US wholesale inflation accelerated in November in sign that some price pressures remain elevated
- Sarah Michelle Gellar, Freddie Prinze Jr. share sweet photo for wedding anniversary
- Nation's largest Black Protestant denomination faces high-stakes presidential vote
- Jennifer Meyer, ex-wife of Tobey Maguire, engaged to music mogul Geoffrey Ogunlesi
- Former Danish minister for Greenland discusses Trump's push to acquire island
- Trans-Siberian Orchestra reveals 2024 dates for The Lost Christmas Eve tour
- When is NFL Week 1? Full schedule for opening week of 2024 regular season
- Body of missing Myrtle Beach woman found under firepit; South Carolina man charged: Police
- Could your smelly farts help science?
- Jewel supports Chappell Roan's harassment comments: 'I've had hundreds of stalkers'
Ranking
- Military service academies see drop in reported sexual assaults after alarming surge
- Sheryl Swoopes fires back at Nancy Lieberman in Caitlin Clark dispute
- Next eclipse in less than a month: When is the annular 'ring of fire' and who will see it?
- Bus crashes into students and parents in eastern China, killing 11 and injuring 13, police say
- Realtor group picks top 10 housing hot spots for 2025: Did your city make the list?
- Commander of Navy warship relieved of duty months after backward rifle scope photo flap
- Week 1 fantasy football risers, fallers: Revenge game for Matthew Stafford
- Alabama man charged with murder in gas station shooting deaths of 3 near Birmingham
Recommendation
The Best Stocking Stuffers Under $25
Meet the Hunter RMV Sherpa X-Line, the 'affordable' off-road RV camper
Commander of Navy warship relieved of duty months after backward rifle scope photo flap
US reports 28th death caused by exploding Takata air bag inflators that can spew shrapnel
Meta donates $1 million to Trump’s inauguration fund
Roger Federer understands why there are questions about US Open top seed Jannik Sinner’s doping case
7 people killed in Mississippi bus crash were all from Mexico, highway patrol says
Man extradited back to US in killing of 31-year-old girlfriend, who was found dead at Boston airport